So finally the season is over and now we have to wait for 2 or 4 months for new season,I found this finale to be quite underwhelming to an otherwise strong second half of the season. The two episodes basically felt completely unconnected to the rest of it: the Underworld plot resolved last week and should have been the finale. This would have served better as a season premiere. I also agree that they are using any story they can just to prolong the series. And Hyde's line "And I brought some friends" worries me that there are going to be a lot more literary characters in Season 6 and it will just make the whole next season discombobulated and convoluted. Yes, this show is going downhill and fast.The issue we get at there is by definition. As in truth they've been pulling from non-consistent "stories" since the get go. Problem is most people seem to come here either with the idea it's supposed to be "Disney stories" or "Fairy Tales", even though in the latter case they have a very grab and choose definition of what makes a fairy tale. Regardless of what Disney made stories like "Pinocchio", "Peter Pan", "The Wizard of Oz", "101 Dalmatians" never were contemporaries to "Snow White", "Cinderella" or "Little Red Riding Hood". Lumping the above into fairy tales just because you associate them with Disney has never really set well with people who do know the history. Then we even got more folkish stories like Arthurian Legend and Robin Hood thrown in. Plus more recent Disney versions loosly based on older tales, in which case if you count the Disney junior books based on them, you have the most recent sources. The show is clearly trying to grow to accomodate more stories, and be just that about stories. If this wasn't what some people signed up for, I can understand their disappointment. But from the other side this is the kind of thing they signed up for, and had some ties way back in the first season with what stories they already worked into Storybrooke.
It's not that that upsets me. As someone with an English Literature Degree, I'm well aware of the origins of these stories and that they are not "Disney stories" or even all "fairy tales." The problem is that they've strayed so much from the original premise of the show. Whether the stories have been "fairy tales" or not, at least early on, the stories could easily be grouped into similar categories of literature - whether they were were Disney stories or not, most people were familiar with them in that regard and that was the world which the show originally presented (no, they never said "Disney", but it was clear that those iterations of the stories, or close to them, were the ones the characters, before the spell was broken, were familiar with. Even when they put their own twist on it (e.g Peter Pan being evil), it was grounded in a certain understanding of the story. For the last two seasons though, the show has basically been a free-for-all: not only are these fairy tale stories real, but every single possible literary world is up for grabs. And when everything is real and there are no boundaries whatsoever, the show jumps into a place where there are no longer any rules at all.
Once, what have you become? You started off as a promising show that put unique twists and spins on fairy tales and I used to happily tune in each week to see what was next for the characters and the plot. But now, you've become so contrived and discombobulated that I feel like you've become two separate shows. I think the half arcs every season since Season 3 have kind of killed the show because everything is so condensed that the plots don't have time to flesh out because it's a rush to get to the next popular idea. The only characters I'm really caring about are Violet and Henry because they are adorable young actors and they're a cute couple. I kind of wish the rest of the show just focused on them having adventures with their parental figures popping in to check on them every now and then. So all in all, I hated this season's finale so much that I'm kind of hurting from it. Need Game of Thrones to help me. My skin has turned to porcelain, to ivory, to steel.
Guess what Evil queen is back!!!!
So guys what you think about the season finale? share your views in comment box!


Hello,
ReplyDeleteI mostly agree with you. I was disappointed. Jakyll and Hyde...well they seem okay but do children - after all it is still a family show - really know their story? I myself know it only in its basics and I'm studying English at university. They could have went in a different direction if they wanted popular fiction. A twisted Sherlock Holmes - the writers need high ratings and why not choose a popular story with many fanbases since its many interpretations.
No one seemed to care about Belle except her husband. Great friends they are.
And then spilitting Regina from The Evil Queen? The easy way out? WTF. What's the message? Just forget who you were and your problems? Don't work on yourself and be confident for a brighter future? Addictions and struggelings are states where you are not yourself?
Regina just died for me this finale. But I will watch S6 since hope dies last.
Greetings
Sarah from Books on PetrovaFire
PS: The Once finale sucked even more after I watched the new GoT episode. Go Girls!
wonderful review f4f?
ReplyDelete